Dental Health Technology
Get the root of your education in Dental Assisting. By coming to SUN Tech you will be prepared with a variety of hands-on experiences and practical clinical training that will lead to careers as a Dental Assistant and other dental auxiliaries.
As a dental assistant you will learn to prepare patients for treatment, sterilize instruments, practice infection control, prepare materials, and make study models from impressions. You will also be exposed to digital x-ray technology and provide chairside assisting with a local dentist to gain clinical experience.
What’s in it for you: By completing this program you will obtain leading edge training in the following areas:
- Earn advanced college level education by participating in dual enrollment through Harrisburg Area Community College to gain an impressive 12 credits.
- Students will participate in a clinical rotation to gain valuable skills, procedures, and patient care for all aspects of the dental profession.
- It also prepares students to take the Pennsylvania Radiology Registration examination through the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB).
- Prepare for emergency situations and health-related experiences.
- Obtain CPR/AED and First Aid Certification.
- Follow OSHA and CDC guidelines for dental professions so that your skills will be current and up to date.
- Target employability skills that will lead to family sustaining wages.
- PA Radiology Registration Exam through DANB
- OSHA Healthcare 10 Hr. Course
- Dental Assistant:
- Patient care
- Office duties
- Lab duties
- Chairside assisting
- taking x-rays
- Dental Lab Technician:
- Fill prescriptions such as crowns, bridges, dentures, and other prosthetics
- Create molds, and build and shape wax teeth
- Perform other lab duties
- Dental Hygiene:
- Clean teeth
- Provide preventive dental care
- Teach patients good dental hygiene
- Exam teeth and gums
- Record findings
- Filing, computer skills
- Telephone answering, visitor greeting, and confirming appointments
- Office Manager:
- Computer skills
- Operating telephone, handling important paperwork and business calls
- Ordering new equipment
- Train new employees to learn office responsibilities
Program of Study
Dental Health Technology is a SOAR approved program of study. This means that successful completion of this program earns you college credits that can be transferred to participating state colleges and universities.
This program requires specific program attire. Information will be provided from the instructor on the uniform requirements.