Are you a people person who enjoys interacting with all types of people, using your mind to look at things from different perspectives, or solving puzzles? Become a part of an exciting criminal justice career! Television, movies, and video games only show a portion of the many rewarding career opportunities awaiting you. Criminal justice is the second largest employer in the Susquehanna Valley and offers entry level salaries ranging from $ 20,000 to over $75,000 annually.
This program offers the entry-level skills and knowledge required for employment in criminal justice professions such as police officer, security officer, correctional officer, 911 dispatcher, store security and military police. These skills are acquired through a combination of classroom training and hands-on experience. The program offers job shadowing experiences, featured guest speakers, and field trips. To remain state of the art, the program uses three simulators to create real life experiences.
The Criminal Justice program prepares students to continue their education at a variety of two-year and four-year colleges and technical schools as well as entry into the military. Several schools offer qualified SUN graduates advanced placement. This can save as much as $1200.00 on tuition expenses.
Following are just some of the universities offering Criminal Justice degrees:
- Penn State University
- Harrisburg Area Community College
- Central Penn
- Lock Haven
- McCann School of Business
- Luzerne County Community College
Students who earn a proficient score on their NOCTI exam will be awarded a PA State Skills Certificate.
As a SUN TECH criminal justice student, you will have the opportunity to earn 6 college credits while building an impressive resume. Criminal justice offers the following certificates:
- Federal Emergency Management Agency National Incident Management System (FEMA NIMS) certificates, 100, 200, 700, and 800
- American Heart Healthcare Provider CPR
- Department of Health Emergency Medical Provider
- HACC Recognition and Identification of Hazardous Materials
- The Association of Public Safety Communication Officials (APCO) Telecommunicator 1
Major career opportunities for graduates of Criminal Justice:
- Security Guard
- Police Officer
- Public Safety Officer
- Correctional Guard
- Probation Officer
- Victim Witness Coordinator
- State Government Services such as Game Commission, State Police, etc.
- Federal Government Services such as US Marshall, DEA, Secret Services, FBI, CIA, Postal Inspector, IRS, Bureau of Prison’s, and U.S. Park Service.
Program of Study
Criminal Justice is a SOAR approved program of study. This means that successful completion of this program earns you college credits that can be transferred to participating state colleges and universities.
This program requires students to come to school in a program-approved uniform. Please print the form provided and submit to purchase approved program attire.